EPA announced this past week the agency’s enforcement priorities for FY 2017 – 2019. The first two initiatives are new and the third will be expanded from past years.
1. Keeping Industrial Pollutants Out of the Nation’s Waters (new initiative)
2. Reducing Risks of Accidental Releases at Industrial and Chemical Facilities (new initiative)
3. Cutting Hazardous Air Pollutants (expanded initiative)
4. Reducing Air Pollution from the Largest Sources
5. Ensuring Energy Extraction Activities Comply with Environmental Laws
6. Keeping Raw Sewage and Contaminated Stormwater Out of the Nation’s Waters
7. Preventing Animal Waste from Contaminating Surface and Ground Water
Given the revelations in Flint Michigan and elsewhere, regarding noncompliance in public water systems, notably absent from EPA’s priorities is a focus on drinking water compliance. Here is a link to FY 2015 Enforcement and Compliance Annual Results. Also, for those interested in seeing where EPA has brought enforcement actions and the types of enforcement, e.g., CWA, CAA, RCRA, etc., here is a link to an interactive map with the specific locations and nature of each administrative enforcement action.